New York University, Tisch School of the Arts 09/2014 - 05/2016
Master’s Degree, Interactive Telecommunications Program
Thesis: P5 Playground – a tool to help people learn creative programming faster.
Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications (BUPT) 09/2010 - 06/2014
Bachelor of Science in Electronics Engineering Technology
Thesis: Tangible Interaction to help children learn programming.
Book: Make: Jumpstarting the Arduino 101: Interacting with a computer that learns, by Yining Shi, Sagar Mohite. Published by Maker Media, Inc., San Francisco, 2017.
Academic Paper: TanProStory: A Tangible Programming System for Children's Storytelling, CHI EA '15 Proceedings of the 33rd Annual ACM Conference Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems.
Sourcemap 2017– Present
Tech Lead, Software Engineer
- Write scalable front-end and database code in an agile manner, create data visualizations of supply chain maps and analytics dashboard. Working with Angular4, AngularJS, Mongo, Node, Express, AWS.
Interactive Telecommunications Program (ITP), NYU 10/2017 – Present
- Contribute to p5-deeplearn-js, a library that lowers the barrier to use machine learning to generate creative outputs in the browser, funded by Google.
Processing Foundation 08/2016 – 08/2017
- Contributed to p5.js Web Editor (an in-browser interactive development environment for writing p5.js sketches) built on a MERN stack (Mongo, Express, React/Redux, Node) as a part of residency.
Interactive Telecommunications Program (ITP), NYU 08/2016 – 08/2017
- Developed web applications for educational purposes in the ITP community (e.g. ITP Thesis Archive, ITP Project Finder, ICM Quizzes).
- Independent research: developing learning and programming tools that visualize the code to help people debug faster and understand programming better.
Green River 08/2016 – 12/2016
- Designed and developed web Interfaces for various data visualization projects with D3.js, React, Sass and Babel.
Institute of Fine Arts, NYU 09/2015 – 08/2016
Front End Web Engineer and Designer
- Designed and maintained features for the IFA’s website with a static web stack- JS, JQuery, D3.js, PHP, WordPress.
- Developed an engaging data-visualization to reactively browse the dissertations archive of IFA.
- Designed and developed an interactive data visualization project mapping all IFA alumni from all over the world.
Tomorrow Lab 06/2015 – 09/2015
Electronics Design Engineer Intern
- Work on the design and engineering aspects on a number of client-based and in-house projects. Responsibilities included research, designing circuits using Eagle CAD, sourcing materials, prototype development, fabrication, electrical engineering support.
HCI Lab, Institute of Software Chinese Academy of Sciences 07/2013 - 01/2014
Research assistant | Project: TanPro-Kit—an innovative tangible tool to help children learn programming concepts
- Designed and conducted a user study using caricatures and stories to introduce concepts. Also designed and built a tangible sensor-based interface to allow kids to
- 2018 Machine Learning Literacy Workshop, the School for Poetic Computation (SFPC), New York
- 2018 Deep Learn Web, ITP Unconference, NYU, NewYork
- 2017 Coding Train, Guest Tutorial #5: Brick Breaker with Yining Shi
- 2017 ITPower & Enertive API: Visualizing Real-time Energy Usage on ITP Floor, ITP Camp, NYU, New York
- 2017 Getting started with React, ITP Camp, NYU, New York
- 2016 Introduction to Computational Media Workshop Series, ITP, NYU, New York
- 2015 Laser Cutter: How-To, ITP Camp, NYU, New York
- 2015 How to Use CNC Router, ITP Camp, NYU, New York
- 2015 Switching it up: circuits, switches & LED’s, ITP Camp, NYU, New York
- 2016 p5.playground, ITP Spring Show, New York
- 2015 Drawing on LEDs, Drawing on Everything, Museum of the Moving Image, New York
- 2015 Drawing Stars, Event: 1+1=3, ITP, New York
- 2015 The Lives We Lost, This is My House of Green Grass: The Raw Retrieval of the Civil War, New York
- 2015 Minion Circuit, ITP Winter Show, New York
- 2015 Puppy Lamp, NYC Media Lab Summit, New York
- 2015 Puppy Lamp, ITP Spring Show, New York
- 2014 Atmospheric Sound Lamp, ITP Winter Show, New York
- Design: Adobe Creative Suite - Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, Premiere.
- Prototyping: Eagle CAD, Processing, Arduino, 3D printing, laser cutting, CNC.
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Tisch School of the Arts Scholarship, NYU
- Academic Prize for Progress, BUPT (99 percentile)
- BUPT Academic Scholarship (two-time recipient for the third position)