New York University, Tisch School of the Arts 09/2014 - 05/2016
Master’s Degree, Interactive Telecommunications Program
Thesis: P5 Playground – a tool to help people learn creative programming faster.
Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications (BUPT) 09/2010 - 06/2014
Bachelor of Science in Electronics Engineering Technology
Thesis: Tangible Interaction to help children learn programming.
Book: Make: Jumpstarting the Arduino 101: Interacting with a computer that learns, by Yining Shi, Sagar Mohite. Published by Maker Media, Inc., San Francisco, 2017.
Academic Paper: TanProStory: A Tangible Programming System for Children's Storytelling, CHI EA '15 Proceedings of the 33rd Annual ACM Conference Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems.
Sourcemap 03/2018– Present
Senior Software Engineer
- Write scalable web and mobile applications in an agile manner while leading projects through the software development lifecycle.
Interactive Telecommunications Program (ITP), NYU 02/2018 – 04/2018
Visiting Guest Artist
- Contribute to ML5.js, a library that lowers the barrier to use machine learning to generate creative outputs in the browser.
- Create examples and demos for ML5.js, and lead workshops about ML5.js.
Sourcemap 04/2017 – 03/2018
Tech Lead, Software Engineer
- Write scalable front-end and database code in an agile manner, create data visualizations of supply chain maps and analytics dashboard. Working with Angular 5, AngularJS, Mongo, Node, Express, AWS.
Processing Foundation 08/2016 – 08/2017
- Contributed to p5.js Web Editor (an in-browser interactive development environment for writing p5.js sketches) built on a MERN stack (Mongo, Express, React/Redux, Node) as a part of residency.
Interactive Telecommunications Program (ITP), NYU 08/2016 – 08/2017
- Developed web applications for educational purposes in the ITP community (e.g. ITP Thesis Archive, ITP Project Finder, ICM Quizzes).
- Independent research: developing learning and programming tools that visualize the code to help people debug faster and understand programming better.
Green River 08/2016 – 12/2016
UX Engineer (Contractor)
- Designed and developed web Interfaces for various data visualization projects with D3.js, React, Sass and Babel.
Institute of Fine Arts, NYU 09/2015 – 08/2016
Front End Web Engineer and Designer
- Designed and maintained features for the IFA’s website with a static web stack- JS, JQuery, D3.js, PHP, WordPress.
- Developed an engaging data-visualization to reactively browse the dissertations archive of IFA.
- Designed and developed an interactive data visualization project mapping all IFA alumni from all over the world.
Tomorrow Lab 06/2015 – 09/2015
Electronics Design Engineer Intern
- Work on the design and engineering aspects on a number of client-based and in-house projects. Responsibilities included research, designing circuits using Eagle CAD, sourcing materials, prototype development, fabrication, electrical engineering support.
HCI Lab, Institute of Software Chinese Academy of Sciences 07/2013 - 01/2014
Research assistant | Project: TanPro-Kit—an innovative tangible tool to help children learn programming concepts
- Designed and conducted a user study using caricatures and stories to introduce concepts. Also designed and built a tangible sensor-based interface to allow kids to
- 2018 Machine Learning Literacy Workshop, the School for Poetic Computation (SFPC), New York
- 2018 Deep Learn Web, ITP Unconference, NYU, NewYork
- 2017 Coding Train, Guest Tutorial #5: Brick Breaker with Yining Shi
- 2017 ITPower & Enertive API: Visualizing Real-time Energy Usage on ITP Floor, ITP Camp, NYU, New York
- 2017 Getting started with React, ITP Camp, NYU, New York
- 2016 Introduction to Computational Media Workshop Series, ITP, NYU, New York
- 2015 Laser Cutter: How-To, ITP Camp, NYU, New York
- 2015 How to Use CNC Router, ITP Camp, NYU, New York
- 2015 Switching it up: circuits, switches & LED’s, ITP Camp, NYU, New York
- 2016 p5.playground, ITP Spring Show, New York
- 2015 Drawing on LEDs, Drawing on Everything, Museum of the Moving Image, New York
- 2015 Drawing Stars, Event: 1+1=3, ITP, New York
- 2015 The Lives We Lost, This is My House of Green Grass: The Raw Retrieval of the Civil War, New York
- 2015 Minion Circuit, ITP Winter Show, New York
- 2015 Puppy Lamp, NYC Media Lab Summit, New York
- 2015 Puppy Lamp, ITP Spring Show, New York
- 2014 Atmospheric Sound Lamp, ITP Winter Show, New York
- Design: Adobe Creative Suite - Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, Premiere.
- Prototyping: Eagle CAD, Processing, Arduino, 3D printing, laser cutting, CNC.
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Tisch School of the Arts Scholarship, NYU
- Academic Prize for Progress, BUPT (99 percentile)
- BUPT Academic Scholarship (two-time recipient for the third position)